Friday, March 23, 2007

March 22 - Mississippi College (clinton, mississippi)

another crazy day to add to the intense events that have occur ed over the past few days. as we pulled into the vicinity of campus crowds of students and faculty, police and media were vi sable. we stepped off the bus to a group of about 6 students holding hands, waiting to join our vigil line....that was wonderful....and then we attempted to give yet another gift to the college administration, a poster with all of our childhood photos on it with a caption that read "we are all god's children" vince and enku walked on holding the poster and they were arrested within their first two steps. students were outraged, tears rolling down their faces that their school was treating us with such little respect and hospitality. within the next 20 minutes 3 more riders, amy, katie and kyle attempted to walk onto campus headed towards students who looked eager for conversations....again 2 steps and they were in handcuffs.

the rest of the day we split up into smaller groups so as to look more approachable for students---and we succeeded in having hundreds and hundreds of conversations, both positive and negative opinions, but opinions that were shared none the least. a group of students actually made bagged lunches for each of us, making sure to have both vegie and vegan options! they were honestly an amazing group of students. even those people who approached us with their bibles in their hands with "a man shall not lie with another man..." on their tongue shared with us their feelings of regret for their campus administration not allowing us on.

later on in the day, after numerous student interactions outside of campus and in a really fun little coffee shop....our arrested members were released....
2 were sentenced with 10 days of jail, suspended granted they stay out of trouble for the next 2 years.
the other 3 had prior arrests and were sentenced with 20 days in jail, suspended granted they stay out of trouble for the next 2 years, plus 4 days (weekdays) of community service----we will have to go on to kentucky without them....meeting back up in alabama for my stop at Samford University.
it has just hit me how serious this ride is, not that i wasnt aware of how serious/dangerous it was before, but all of a sudden i am witnessing my friends struggling through situations that seem absurd for the actions they have taken towards creating a safer world.

as we were leaving clinton last night our bus was pulled over twice within 5 minutes! the police saying "get out of our town"
they dont want us there.
but the students do.
and so we remain.
i am scared, definitely not denying that emotion, but i have surrounded myself with good people who embrace me when ever they sense a tear about to fall from my eye. and i in turn embrace them whenever i sense that they are in pain.

i miss all of you.
and love all of you.
week 3......and 5 more to go.

2 comments:

ReachingForHope said...

I wanted to let you know that I really, sincerely enjoyed your visit. I have learned a lot, and its definitely given me a lot to think and pray about. I may not agree with your views, but I now understand it is more than whether or not I agree, its an issue of civil rights. You guys have my support. I want to apologize on the behalf of the MC student body for the treatment of you guys by our administration and by our police officers, especially that guy who was extremely rude.

I'm glad I got to come hang out with y'all today at Brighton Park, it was a good experience..You guys have opened my eyes to a lot, and its given me a lot to think and pray about.

Thanks for what you do. I have a great deal of respect for you all.

s'nimm said...

Casey! Still thinking of you and the bus. I'm overwhelmed by the events, the arrests, and I'm so in awe that I can't help telling more & more people about the ride. And this previous comment just adds to how proud I am of the busses. Still wish I could send gummy worms...